FT Group

Originally formed back in 1987 to amalgamate the well respected and long established names within the construction industry of Fordy and Thompson – it created a substantial Construction Group with a turnover approaching £40 million and more than 300 employees.

Group Structure

FT Construction Group Holdings Ltd

Incorporating

Walter Thompson (Contractors) Ltd 

Tom Willoughby Ltd

Langtons Northallerton Ltd

George Fordy Properties Ltd

 

Group History

Walter Thompson although originally formed in 1920 began trading in earnest after the 2nd World War, building new housing estates, hospitals, schools and office accommodation. Predominantly working in Northallerton and the surrounding area Walter Thompson soon gained a reputation as a quality family builder and became one of Northallerton's major employers.

 

George Fordy Lorry circa 1940During this same period a House Builder and General Contractor called George Fordy & Son of Teesside were also making their mark and gaining an enviable reputation not only as a house builder but working for local councils and Health Authorities alike. The company was established in 1908 and both companies often found themselves bidding for the same work.

Through strong family ties and following many successful years trading for both companies it became apparent that a merger would be both beneficial and cost effective working from one office, so in 1987 the FT Construction Group was formed using Construction House, Northallerton as its base of operations.

Walter Thompson continued trading as a General Contractor while George Fordy focused on House Building, Private Development and Property Investment.

Looking to expand into the Reactive and Planned Maintenance market the FT Group acquired Tom Willoughby Ltd in 1994. This local maintenance company also came with a long history of its own, working in and around Northallerton from as far back as 1896. It moved into its new premises on Standard Way, Northallerton back in the mid 1980’s and now has 5 regional offices in Waddington, Scarborough, Harrogate, York and Catterick

Langtons Forge

Langtons (Northallerton) Ltd was a local steel fabrication company working for mainly the farming community specialising in agricultural installations. This business was acquired by Walter Thompson in 1973 and following the move to its new premises on Finkills Way, Northallerton the company started to develop the steel fabrication and products side of the business. Again this company can trace its origins back to 1830 when it operated a forge and ironworks business on Friarage Street, Northallerton

 

 

Latest News


A Level Student of the Year
Ryan Holding

Walter Thompson is committed to providing a skilled industry workforce through high quality work based…
Read more >>


Middleton Lodge Completion
Middleton Oaks Family Living Unit

Walter Thompson are pleased to announce the completion of the Middleton Lodge Family Living Unit…
Read more >>

Get In Touch

Address
Construction House
Northallerton
North Yorkshire
DL7 8ED

Tel
01609 780700

Fax
01609 777236

Email
contact@walterthompson.co.uk